Welcome to the Galphay Village website.

This website is for residents, visitors and anyone with an interest in  Galphay Village and its surroundings.
Please select the relevant links to learn more about our community.


Earliest recordings show that the village of Galphay was, in 1189, owned by Fountains Abbey.
Galphay may translate into “gallows enclosure”.
Some old maps do indicate a gallows on a hill within the village.
Galphay now has around 60 houses, with a population of about 200.
In the last 100 years, a village school was opened; and subsequently closed. The same fate awaited the Methodist Chapel, which is now a private house.
The ‘Village Institute’, which was established after the First World War, is still in existence; housed in wooden structure originally used to house troops in training camp.